வரலாறு அறிதலின் வரலாறு


A couple of nuggests from Dr. V.Rajesh's, Manuscripts, Memory and History: Classical Tamil Literature in Colonial India, Cambridge University Press, New Delhi, 2013
  “It is scarcely possible to conceive a greater confusion than that which prevails with reference to the question of the age of Sambhanda. Mr.Taylor places Kun Pandya, and therefore Sambandha also, who converted him, about 1320 B.C., while Dr.Caldwell contends he was reigning in 1292 A.D. Thus it would appear possible to assign Sambandha to 1300 B.C. or A.D. indifferently! This is certainly curious: and I am not sure if we can find the like of it in the whole range of history. Indeed, it would seem that South Indian chronology has yet to begin its existence. We have not, in fact, as yet a single important date in the ancient history of the Dravidians ascertained and placed beyond the pale of controversy.
……
A critical study of (the classical) dialect and of this literature would certainly, under ordinary circumstances, be held as a pre-requisite for conducting South-Indian antiquarian researches. But, unfortunately, for reasons that cannot be here explained, critical scholarship in Tamil has come to be regarded as not so essential to those researches. Hence absurdities that we sometimes we meet with in the writings of those whose oracular utterances pass in certain quarters for axiomatic truths.”
இவ்வாறு காரமாக எழுதி, ஆய்வில் கறார்த்தன்மையைக் கோரியிருக்கும் இவ்வாசிரியர் யார்: பிற்காலத்தில் மனோன்மணியம் எழுதிய, இன்று கிட்டத்தட்ட அந்த முன்னொட்டின் மூலமாக மட்டுமே அறியப்படும் பெ.சுந்தரம்பிள்ளை தான் அவர்!

1916ல் ராம்நாட் ராஜா,  Director of Public Instructionக்கு ஒரு கடிதத்தைக் குறுகி, பணிந்து எழுதுகிறார்
Of the three days, formed part of the Saraswati Pooja Day, on which it has been usual to reward scholars, musicians and artists etc. It is for this function that I had invited Mr.Swaminatha Ayyar. Himself having been good enough to respond to my invitation, could not be given any award or presents as I had not obtained the necessary permission beforehand. Immediately after the function I wrote a letter to Mr.Allen, Principal of the Presidency College, requesting him to let me know if whether he could permit me to give Rs.100 to Mr.Swaminatha Ayyar, which amount I had set apart for the purpose. I felt my situation on Saraswati Pooja day very awkward, as I had to give only pansupari to Mr.Swaminatha Ayyar, whereas to others various other kinds of presents were given. Mr.Allen wrote to me that I should to say that I should get your permission to do this, and I must confess my mistake in not having written to you earlier. I request you therefore, to be good enough to permit me to give  this amount to Mr.Swaminatha Ayyar for which kindness I shall always be grateful.
ஒரு நூறு ரூபாய் சன்மானம் தருபவதற்குஅரசரேஅல்லாடிய நிலை;  (சுந்தரனார் சொன்னதைப் போல) ஆய்வுக் கறார்த்தன்மையை மீறிய முக்கியத்துவத்தை ஐரோப்பிய ஆய்வாளர்கள் பெற்றிருந்த ஒரு சூழல். இச்சூழலில் இயங்கி தான் உவேசா, சிவைதா போன்றோர் நமக்கு இந்த இலக்கியங்களை தந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதும், அதன் மூலமாக மட்டுமே நாம் நமது வரலாற்றையும், கலாசார பின்புலத்தையும் புரிந்துகொள்ள இன்றும் முயன்றுகொண்டு இருக்கிறோம் என்பதும் போதுமான அளவு பரவலாக புரிந்துகொள்ளப் படவில்லை என்றே நினைக்கிறேன்.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will KamalHassan apologise for Mahanadhi ?

Judex Ergo Sum

Kamal - the writer/director